Sun Dried Tomato & Basil Lamb Pizza
300g LAMB RUMP
1.25kg SMALL-TO-MEDIUM SIZED FRESH TOMATOES, SLICES IN HALF
2 TABLESPOON OLIVE OIL
1 TEASPOON OF CHILLI FLAKES
HANDFUL OF FRESH BASIL
SEA SALT & FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
350G OF FRESH PIZZA DOUGH
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Toss the tomatoes with the garlic, olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 1 hour and check midway during the roasting to ensure that the tomatoes are getting a beautiful withered texture, turn them gently with a spatula. After an hour, turn the oven off and leave the tomatoes in the oven until the oven has cooled down completely. Roasting time will differ depending on the size of tomatoes. Continue to roast them until they've given up their juices as shown in the pictures above. If you don't have time to roast tomatoes - they can be purchased from various deli's.
2. To make the pizza, preheat the oven to 230ºC. On a lightly floured surface, roll and stretch the pizza dough into a large circle. Place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper and continue to brush the dough with olive oil. Distribute the mozzarella and tomatoes over the rolled out pizza dough and place a dozen fresh basil leaves on top.
3. Place the pizza in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the pizza is baked to your liking; the bottom crust should be crisp and the top should be slightly browned and bubbling.
4. In a separate pan, gently sear the lamb rump and slice thin slices to add on top of the pizza.
5. Remove from the oven and strew chopped fresh basil and chilli flakes over the top as garnish.
Variations: You can use a different cheese if you wish. Fresh goat cheese, smoked mozzarella, or a semi-soft cheese like Fontina works well on pizza. You could also add bits of bacon or prosciutto to the pizza.